PREHEAT OVEN TO 250°F | COOK TIME 1 HR | PREP TIME 1HR 30 MINS | MAKES 12 SERVINGS
- 6 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 c blueberries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 c lemon curd
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature 30 minutes (this helps create more volume). Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. For meringue, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment* beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form and meringue is no longer gritty (18 to 20 minutes), scraping down bowl as needed.
- Beat in lemon juice and orange water. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in cornstarch.
- Spoon meringue mixture into 12 large mounds on a parchment paper-lined very large baking sheet, spacing them 3 inches apart. Using the back of the spoon, create an indent in each meringue.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn off oven; let meringue dry in oven with the door closed for 1 hour.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Fill each shell with 2 tablespoons lemon curd and top with blueberries
This recipe is great to do at the same time as a curd because you don’t have to throw away the egg yolks.