What’s a classic, and must-have during the holidays? Apple pie!
Preheat oven to 425°F | cook time 50-60 mins | prep-time 30 mins | makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ½ pounds apples, peeled and cored, then cut into wedges (5 large honeycrisps will do it)
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2¼ cups Namaste Foods Perfect Flour Blend
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk, any kind
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Melt butter in a large saute pan set over medium-high heat and add apples to the pan. Stir to coat fruit with butter and cook, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, whisk together the spices, salt and .75 cup sugar, and sprinkle this over the pan, stirring to combine. Lower heat and cook until apples have started to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle the flour and cornstarch over the apples and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, another 3 to 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add cider vinegar, stir and scrape fruit mixture into a bowl and allow to cool completely. (The fruit mixture will cool faster if spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.)
- Place a large baking sheet on the middle rack of oven and preheat to 425. Remove one disc of dough from the refrigerator and, using a pin, roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it is roughly 12 inches in diameter. Fit this crust into a 9-inch pie plate, trimming it to leave a .5-inch overhang. Place this plate, with the dough, in the freezer.
- Roll out the remaining dough on a lightly floured surface until it is roughly 10 or 11 inches in diameter.
- Remove pie crust from freezer and put the cooled pie filling into it. Cover with remaining dough. Press the edges together, trim the excess, then crimp the edges with the tines of a fork. Using a sharp knife, cut three or four steam vents in the top of the crust. Lightly brush the top of the pie with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Place pie in oven and bake on hot baking sheet for 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375. Continue to cook until the interior is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes more. Remove and allow to cool on a windowsill or kitchen rack, about two hours.
- Combine first 7 ingredients with pastry cutter or food processor pulses until mixture becomes loose crumbs.
- Add milk and vinegar and stir until dough forms a ball. Knead until smooth. Shape into 2 one inch thick discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out in circle between 2 pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap.